Friday 11 November 2011

Beneath Dignity - Stuart Brisley





'Beneath Dignity, Bregenz' was a photographic exhibition I saw today at the Tate Britain. I take for granted this gallery as its neighbouring my university, however in my lunch break from the workshop today I went and had a look at the contemporary collection on display. The work of Stuart Brisley is partof his 1970's collection and is a performance art piece based in Bregenz, (Which is what I have just found out to be the capital of Vorarlberg - the second smallest state of Austria).
He made 5 wooden frames which were roughly the size of his body, and uses a combination of chalk, flour, water and paint as materials. His inspirations were based on hearing miners discussing the 'constrictions imposed on the body in mining the narrow seems of coal'. However he states his work is not about mining and the title clues the subject of his work.
I really like the mapping of this performance, not only does his body perform as art, but it also creates. It is photographed beautifully, the black and white contrasts put an emphasis on the movement his body creates, rather than himself.

11.11.11


No comments:

Post a Comment