Wednesday 26 January 2011

Meat Disaster


After having a play around with the meat and photoshop I decided to push the boat out and experiement in more depth with the idea of using mince. I built another sculpture, this time concentrating on how an audience would interact with the space, what it would do, how people would use it, the situation, the context, the users and elements.

First stage: Designing the shape (which was mostly on a trial and error basis)
Second Stage: Freezing the meat for several hours
Third Stage: Coating the model and a washing basin with vaseline (this was me using my initiative because I thought there might be a bit of an issue with the meat being difficult to peel away after)
Forth Stage: Pouring plaster mixture into the basin and letting it dry.

At stage four, it all started going down hill. Me being very impatient on the freezing process obviously didnt leave it in long enough, and also didnt comprehend the fact that when you pour a diluted mixture into the basin that the object will float up to the top. So it basically ended up with an upside down, melted, bloody (from the meat- not a word i'm using for my frustration), bowl of mess. Knowing full well it was a failure test run, i persevered and moved on to,

Stage five: Letting the plaster dry and pealing the meat away from the surface (which was surprisingly therapeutic)
Stage six: Coating the plaster mould with 2mm of latex

I did start to hair dry the mould to fasten up the process, but gone off burning meat started to seep through the air so I thought I should probably listen to the instructions and wait 12 hours until I 'demould' the fantastic work of art that I have produced!!

No comments:

Post a Comment