Thursday 29 October 2009

Cardboard Love






One of the most interesting things I have learnt from this project is that I absolutely detest the smell of cardboard. Something that looks so harmless and functional actually has an evil side to it. You probably think I’m being over dramatic, but lugging round industrial size pieces of card on the rush-hour train and bus just really doesn’t tickle my fancy. Not forgetting being completely wrapped up in the stuff, so that I leave my project site with the smell of dampness and a hint of curry.

However with all the negatives of card in general put to one side, our new project that was set the other week was a really good task! We had to explore interesting areas that were normally disregarded, and then adapting and designing a structure to fit within the site. After building our structure we moved onto the more complicated stuff...

Believe it or not, I’m a bit of a maths geek at heart. I love having something to solve and figure out and then the final result being a simple right or wrong answer. Although I ne
ver really paid much attention during maths classes all those years ago, I can only thank god that I was listening to Mr Gilbert blabber on about Pythagoras’s theorem, because despite me thinking at the time ‘when on EARTH would I ever need this in my life?’, I applied it to my plan, section and elevation work! The process of angles and measurements was very long winded and required patience, and our structure was fairly complicated especially when it was half destroyed during out day of measuring it!

I’m still working on our axonometric drawings at the moment, so I’ve got quite a bit more to go. Thanks for reading my first ever blog! I’m sure I’ll keep you posted on my recent activities and projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment